FDA PRESS RELEASE, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — March 11, 2015 — LAKE FOREST, Ill. — Hospira, Inc. (NYSE: HSP), announced today it is initiating a voluntary recall of one lot of Lactated Ringer’s Irrigation, 3000mL (NDC 0409-7828-08, Lot 40-008-JT; Expiry 1APR2016) to the user level (both human and veterinary) due to a confirmed customer report of several dark, fibrous particulates floating within the solution of the primary container. The particulate was confirmed as a common non-toxic, non-invasive mold, Aspergillus kanagawaensis. To date, Hospira has not received reports of any adverse events associated with this issue for this lot.
A loss of sterility is a primary concern when there is a presence of mold in a sterile, nonpyrogenic solution. If contaminated solution is used on a patient it may cause bacteremia, sepsis, septic shock and endocarditis, and death may result. Signs and symptoms may include redness, pain, swelling at the site, fever, shortness of breath, tachycardia, nausea, and vomiting. Septicemia could lead to shock and multi-system organ failure, requiring critical medical intervention. The mold is considered allergenic and exposure to it may induce an allergic response or immune response to the particulate including anaphylaxis.
- Tim Coles & Dr Helen Hale Article – Taming the Tyrannosaurus of Validation - 6th February 2018
- Exclusive ISPE Decontamination & Validation ½ Day Workshop and Focus Group - 18th January 2018
- The Shortfalls Of Biological Indicators For HPV Decontamination Validation - 7th September 2017
- Protak Features In Clean Air & Containment Review - 1st August 2017
- Protak Scientific At Pharma Integrates 2017 In November As Sponsor & Panelist - 1st July 2017
- Enzyme Indicators Proven As Viable Alternative For HPV Decontamination Validation - 20th June 2017
- Protak Scientific At The ISPE UK Summer Conference: Containment & Decontamination – 14/6 - 6th June 2017
- Howorth Air Technology Trials Enzyme Indicators Successfully - 26th May 2017
- Clean Air & Containment Review – “EI’s Will Eventually Take Over BI’s” - 5th May 2017
- Protak Scientific Announce Appointment of Netsteril As Distributor for Spain To Supply Revolutionary Alternative To Biological Indicators - 15th February 2017